Everything is canceled. Everything. I’m deeply lacking in motivation in these days where every day is a week, every week is a month, and every month is a year. But we might as well make the most of a given period of time. So, we need a plan. Something big, weird, maybe a little stupid, with ways for people to connect in creative ways.
So, here’s the plan: Let’s all share a week (July 12–18) that contains centuries.
Sometimes plans have lots of structure. This plan has a flexible form.
- Each ride should start at a donut shop, coffee shop, bagel shop, diner, or campsite. (you don’t have to go inside and order/eat/drink if it isn’t legal or safe, but they provide convenient starting spots).
- Each ride should end at a brewery, distillery, ice-cream shop, or campsite.
- Each ride should be about 100 miles. Unless you are metric, then you get to ride 100k. That’s cool.
- As we’re still trying to keep everyone healthy, we all should start when we’re ready, ride at our own pace, finish when we are done. We should plan to be self-sufficient on the ride and resupply safely and responsibly.
- We can ride one century, or seven. (or 2–6)
- Are you a runner? What’s the running equivalent of biking 100 miles? (for me, I think it would be about 4 miles, but I’ll let you actual runners pick a number).
- We use this as a way to support organizations you believe in. Connie and I will be making a per-mile donation to the Black Visions Collective, Cycling Palestine, and the Salt Lake City Bike Collective. Maybe people want to sponsor riders?
- Social media is fun and social. Let’s commandeer the hashtag #TWCC2020 (This Week Contains Centuries)
- Ride bikes. Have fun.
- July 12: Big O Donuts to Fisher Beer
- July 13: Sugarhouse Coffee to Hopkins Brewery
- July 14: Publik Coffee to TF Brewing
- July 15: Uintas A (Pre-drive coffee/Bagels at Bagel Project, whiskey at the campsite)
- July 16: Uintas B (Route: Coming soon)(Coffee at the campsite, Post Drive beers at Roha)
- July 17: Atticus Coffee and Books to High West Distillery (Route: Coming soon)
- July 18: Banbury Cross to Fisher Beer (Route: Coming soon)